Sunday, May 3, 2009

Get Off My Lawn!

   I just realized that I'm a grumpy old man: I miss a DC that could encompass both G'Nort and Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol, Arkham Asylum and Justice League Antarctica. Everything's just a little too resolutely serious right now. One of the consequences of having your comics universe all paying the same piper, I guess . . . especially when that piper is an imminent cosmic cross-over about super-powered zombies. Since the self-identified "lighter" books, like the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle series, get cancelled, I'm probably in the minority here. But I do miss Batman going on adventures with the Giffen/DeMatteis League and then having his "darker" stories over in his own series. Given the creative direction of both Marvel and DC, it seems as if unified versions of the characters are of the utmost importance to each company, so my preferred kind of contextual malleability is off-limits. As a company's default status, it's a little too serious for me, limited, and lacking self-awareness and acknowledgment of the ridiculousness of super-heroes. The fact that G'Nort's status in the last Green Lantern Secret Files, from all that Sinestro War stuff, was "presumed dead" it seems as if the poor guy's a casualty of all this seriousness. It's too bad we need Grant Morrison doing multiverse stories in order to get something different out of DC.

No comments:

Post a Comment