Thursday, June 11, 2009

Sigh of Relief


   Not that I really believed it, but this week's Uncanny X-Men #511 threatened to bring back Jean "Phoenix" Grey. Again. Being one of those comics fans who actually got addicted to the X-Men in the 90s (particularly the Age of Apocalypse, in all its resplendent narrative glory), I only really knew Scott and Jean together. I was really surprised when Grant Morrison killed her off over in New X-Men #150. I had been collecting X-Men comics for long enough  that they all seemed pretty rote by then. Even Morrison's stuff seemed filled with only refurbished takes on Chris Claremont's stories. When Jean actually died, even with the requisite back door left open for her eventual return, I was floored. Though Marvel didn't know what to do with most of Morrison's contributions to the X-Men, I am very glad that they didn't abandon Scott's relationship with Emma Frost. If Jean had come back, well, then we would get a love triangle instead of the less straightforward - and far more emotionally wrenching - betrayals that Scott and Emma have been inflicting on each other. I'm really looking forward to seeing how that plays out. Jean Grey will be back eventually, but her return at this time would circumvent too many interesting stories to be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment