Friday, March 27, 2009

The Emotional Spectrum

   It's not that I hate Geoff John's Green Lantern run, it's more that I don't get how he deploys his imagery. With the whole upcoming War of Light storyline, and all these new rings, I get a bit confused.

   Correct me if I'm wrong, but the yellow Sinestro rings work by feeding off fear caused to others. That's different than the Green Lantern rings, which are fueled by the willpower of the individual wearer. The violet rings are fueled by the bearer's remembered feelings of love. The red rings...make people throw up napalm because they're angry all the time? The blue rings are like the green rings, and are fueled by the hope of the individual wearer, but they can only work if they siphon power from the green rings while simultaneously increasing the power of the green rings? Not sure I get that one. Haven't seen orange or indigo yet, but I'm wondering how greed and compassion will work into this framework.
   My inference is that Johns wants to write a super-huge, and very colorful, fight scene. Fine and dandy. I just wish that he hadn't tried to give it a mythological underpinning, because I can't make much sense of it. How is death the antithesis of willpower? Wouldn't that imply that willpower alone could overcome death? And how is willpower analogous to rage or fear? Rage, hope, love, and fear are emotions. To a certain extent, they appear unbidden and, often, unwanted. Willpower isn't an emotion. It's not desire - it's an expression of self-control. Compassion is, maybe, the closest to willpower, but they're still pretty disparate concepts. Death isn't an emotion either, but the waters are pretty muddy at this point. 
 
  So, does anyone understand this better than I do? Want to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment